If you’ve been plagued with the infamous Avast won’t open error message on Windows, don’t worry, you’re not alone. In this article, you’ll find 5 fixes for the problem, that are easy to get started with.
Avast is popular antivirus software that is used by millions of people worldwide. It has been in the antivirus game for a long time, and they know what they are doing. If you are an Avast user but are having trouble with the program opening up, you may have some bad luck. However, the good news is that there are several ways to fix this problem.
For some Avast users, opening the application is not as easy as pressing a mouse button or tapping a touchscreen. The fact is that this problem can pop up on any PC and it’s not always easy to fix.
In order to get your Avast program running again, you need to identify the cause of the issue and find out how to resolve it. Lucky for you, we put together a list of 5 solutions that may help with your troubleshooting.
Some Initial Ways to Fix Avast Won’t Open on Windows
There are several ways that you can try to fix Avast Won’t Open on Windows issue. One way to fix this problem is to reinstall the Avast program. Sometimes programs can become corrupt and this can cause them to not work properly. Uninstalling and then reinstalling can sometimes fix problems like these.
Another way to try to fix this error is by restarting or rebooting your system. At times, programs can become stuck, and restarting your machine can assist to fix the problem of interest.
However, if you are still having problems, you can try contacting Avast Customer Support. They may be able to help you troubleshoot the problem or give you further instructions on how to fix the problem asap.
Top Five Ways to Fix “Avast Won’t Open on Windows?”
Fix 1: By Repairing the Avast Software
Follow the next mentioned steps in sequential order, to successfully repair your Avast Antivirus Software.
- First, sign in to your PC, with an Administrator account.
- Next, launch the PC Settings by searching for it in the search bar located at the bottom of the screen.
- After that, click on the option labeled Apps from the complete list of available options in front of you.
- Now, navigate to the Apps & Features section from the left-pane window.
- Next, keep scrolling until you find the option named Avast. Click on it.
- After that, click on the Uninstall/Repair button appearing just below the Avast application logo.
- Now, a window will prompt on your screen with a set of options including Update, Repair, Modify, and Uninstall. Click on the Repair button.
- Next, a dialog box will appear and inside it click on the Confirm option to validate your decision.
- After that, it will take some time to repair the Avast software, so be patient. Once it is fully repaired, then it will launch by itself.
- Now, close the Avast program window and proceed with rebooting your PC.
Finally, check to see if the problem is resolved or still persists.
Fix 2: By Relaunching the Avast Antivirus Service
The error “Avast Won’t Open on Windows”, can be coped with by relaunching the Avast Antivirus Service. Here is how to do it:
- First, press the Windows + R key simultaneously on your keyboard.
- Next, you will see a box appearing on your PC screen with the label Run.
- After that, inside this box type in the following command i.e., services.msc
- Now, click on the OK button or press the Enter key.
- Next, you will see the Services window popping up.
- After that, scroll down and find the Avast Antivirus service from the whole catalog of different services.
- Now, once found, right-click on it, and from the context menu click on the option labeled Properties.
- Next, from the Service status section, check whether the Avast Antivirus service is stopped or started.
- After that, if you find the service is stopped, then keep it in this state until you are executing.
- Now, ensure that the Startup type is set to Automatic. If it is not, then you can customize it, by clicking on the dropdown button.
- Next, validate your decision by clicking on the Confirm button.
- After that, navigate to the Start button and click on it.
- Now, you might be shown this error i.e., “Windows could not start the AvastAntivirus Services on the local computer. Error 1079.”
- Next, to resolve this error you need to perform some additional steps that are provided next.
- Once again, launch the Service Properties window.
- Once launched successfully, navigate to the log on tab followed by clicking on Browser.
- Now, inside the Enter the object name to select (examples) entry box, write the name of your account, and then click on the button labeled Check Names present right next to it.
- After that, it will take some time for your account’s name to be visible. So, be patient for a couple of minutes.
- Finally, click on the OK button. Now, inspect whether the problem is dealt with successfully.
Fix 3: By Performing a Clean/From Scratch Installation of Avast Antivirus
If the above-mentioned methods are not working for you due to any reasons, and you don’t want to risk your PC with the free attack from viruses and malware, then you need to perform a clean installation of Avast antivirus. This can be done as follow:
- First, open a web browser of your own choice on your PC.
- Next, navigate to this link for downloading the Avast Antivirus latest version.
- After that, go to the uninstall section, and then download the Uninstall Utility Avast Clean.
- Now, turn off the internet connection followed by booting into the Safe Mode.
- Next, launch the Run box by pressing the Windows + R key simultaneously on your keyboard.
- After that, inside this box type in the following command i.e., msconfig.
- Now, press the Enter key or click on the OK button.
- Next, you will see the System Configuration window popping up.
- After that, click on the tab named Boot.
- Now, click on the check box present on the left-hand side of the option named Safe boot.
- Next, restart your system to successfully boot in Safe Mode.
- After that, launch the Avast Uninstall Utility and browse the folder where you have installed Avast Antivirus.
- Now, click on the option named Remove. Then reboot your PC normally.
Finally, check to see if the problem has been coped with successfully or is still causing pain in your head.
Fix 4: By the Aid of Disabling Sheilds
Another method that may assist you in solving this “Avast Won’t Open on Windows” error is by disabling the shields option. Here’s what needs to be done.
- First, navigate to the Avast Antivirus executable file.
- Next, right-click on it followed by hovering on the Avast shields control option inside the context menu.
- After that, click on the option labeled Disable for 10 minutes.
- Now, after 10-15 minutes, again perform the above steps, but this time click on the option named Enable all shields. Then, proceed with opening the Avast Antivirus program and examine if you have gotten rid of the error or not.
Fix 5: By Updating Avast Antivirus to the Latest Version
This is by far the best solution one can get in terms of different issues and errors arising with his/her antivirus software. Since the Avast team is fixing the issues and bugs on daily basis, so you can take advantage of this by just updating your program to the latest version.
Moreover, you can also install Windows updates. Maybe that will also play a significant role in solving your problem. Mentioned next are the steps to do it.
- First, launch the PC Settings by searching for it in the search bar located at the bottom of the screen.
- Next, click on the option labeled Update & Security from the complete list of available options in front of you.
- After that, navigate to the Windows Update section from the left-pane window.
- Now, click on Check for updates.
With this, if any update is available then it will be installed on your Windows PC. Then go on and reboot your system and inspect whether this had any positive influence on the “Avast Won’t Open on Windows” error or not.
We hope that our tips have helped you fix the problem of “Avast won’t open on Windows.” If you are still having trouble, you can always contact Avast customer support for assistance. In the meantime, make sure to follow these tips so that you can keep your PC safe from viruses and other malware.
If you’re unable to open Avast on your Windows computer, try one of the five methods listed in this article. With a little patience and some technical know-how, you should be able to get Avast up and running in no time.
Have you ever tried to fix this error by yourself? Whether you are successful in doing it or not? Which method did you use to perform this task? If you have done this before, share your experience with us in the comments section below.
You are also free to ask any questions or queries you have in your mind that are bothering you. We will appreciate it and try to answer them in the best possible manner. Plus, if you liked this blog post, give it a thumbs up and share it with your friends and colleagues. Thank you all in advance guys.