When it comes to streaming and converting media files, VLC Media Player is hard to beat. But at some point, you might find your storage getting low or want to clean up your PC – or if you’re simply done using VLC. Potentially the blog post you are currently visiting is about how to uninstall VLC Media Player. Would you like to know how? If so, keep reading!
VLC Media Player is a completely free and open-source cross-platform multimedia player and streaming media server developed by the VideoLAN project. The project claims that VLC can play almost all up-to-date audio and video file formats, without being encumbered by a license fee or the need to produce a profit. Moreover, it is available for all major operating systems, including Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, Linux, etc.
However, if you installed VLC Media Player but now regret the decision due to any major reason, you can use the methods enlisted below to uninstall it from your machine hassle-freely, so that it no longer shows up in your pinned programs.
Methods to Uninstall VLC Media Player From Windows
There are a few different ways to uninstall VLC Media Player from Windows. So, if you no longer need this media player’s services on your Windows PC, you can easily uninstall it by following the procedures that are provided next.
Via the Control Panel
- First, click on the “Start” Menu on your Windows system.
- Next, inside the search field type in “Control Panel”.
- After that, from the right-hand side click on the “Control Panel” icon.
- Now, inside the Control Panel window, proceed with clicking on the option labeled “Programs and Features”.
- Next, under the “Uninstall or Change a Program” section, click on the “VLC Media Player” option.
- After that, you will see an option named “Uninstall/Change”. Click on it.
- Now, a “User Account Control” prompt will be displayed on your screen. Inside it, click on the “Yes” button.
- Next, a “VLC Media Player Uninstall” window will show up. Here, click on the button labeled “Next”.
- After that, click on the checkbox present on the left-hand side of the option i.e., “Delete Preferences and Cache”, to enable it.
- Finally, click on the “Uninstall” button. Now, it will take a few minutes to completely remove VLC from your Windows PC. Once completely uninstalled, you will be notified by a message.
Via the VLC Uninstaller
- First, press these keys simultaneously on your keyboard i.e., “Windows + R”.
- Next, inside the “Run” box, type in the following: C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC.
- After that, click on the button labeled “OK”.
- Now, press “Ctrl + F” on your keyboard, and inside the find box, search for the “uninstall.exe” file.
- Next, once found, right-click on this executable file. Then from the context menu, click on the option named “Run as Administrator”.
- After that, follow steps 7-10 of the heading “Via the Control Panel”, as already mentioned above. That’s all!
Via the Windows Settings App
- First, press these keys simultaneously on your keyboard i.e., “Windows + I”. This will launch the “Settings” app.
- Next, on the left-hand side of your screen, you will see a column of different options. From them, click on the one labeled “Apps”.
- After that, under the “Apps” section, click on the option named “Installed Apps”.
- Now, keep scrolling until you find “VLC Media Player”. Once found successfully, click on the meatballs menu icon i.e., the three horizontal dots icon (⋯), present right next to it.
- Next, from the dropdown list, click on the option i.e., “Uninstall”.
- After that, you will see the following message i.e., “This app and its related info will be uninstalled”. Here, click on the “Uninstall” button, to show your consent against this decision. Finally, now the VLC Media Player will be uninstalled from your system, along with all its components.
Via the PowerShell/CMD
- First, click on the “Start” Menu on your Windows system.
- Next, inside the search field type in “Terminal”.
- After that, you will see the “Terminal App” option appearing on your PC screen. Right-click on it, and from the context menu, click on the option labeled “Run as Administrator”.
- Now, a “UAC Prompt Window” will be displayed. Here, click on the “OK” button.
- Next, the “Powershell Window” will be opened. Inside it, type in the following command i.e., Get-Package -Name “VLC Media Player*” | Uninstall-Package.
- After that, press the “Enter” key on your keyboard, for its successful execution.
- Now, as soon as the command finishes executing, close the “Powershell Window”.
- Next, proceed with restarting your machine. Once you reboot, you will see that the VLC Media Player has been removed completely from your Windows system.
Method to Uninstall VLC Media Player From macOS
When compared to Windows, uninstalling VLC from a macOS device has limited options. Still, it’s a very easy and straightforward procedure. Here is what needs to be done:
- First, launch “Finder” on your macOS device. For this, you can press these keys simultaneously on your keyboard i.e., “Command + N”.
- Next, from the left-hand side of your screen, click on the “Applications” option, under the “Favourites” section.
- After that, keep scrolling until you find the “VLC Media Player”. Once found, click on it.
- Now, press these keys together on your keyboard i.e., “Command + Delete”. Alternatively, you can also right-click on the “VLC Media Player” option, and from the context menu click on “Move to Trash”.
- Next, press “Command+Shift+G” on your keyboard.
- After that, type in the following command inside the box i.e., ~/Library/Application Support/org.videolan.vlc. Then, click on the “Go” button.
- Now, right-click on the file, and from the context menu click on the option i.e., “Move to Trash”.
- Next, repeat steps 5-7 for the following commands provided next:
- ~/Library/Saved Application State/org.videolan.vlc.savedState
Finally, now open your “Trash” folder, and empty it. With this, you have successfully uninstalled VLC Media Player from your macOS device. That’s all there is to it!
See also: How to Force Turn Off Spotify App
That’s all there is to uninstall VLC Media Player on either your Windows or macOS system. As you can see, it’s a pretty simple process that shouldn’t take more than a couple of minutes. Just follow the instructions in this article, and you’ll have everything taken care of in no time.
However, make sure you follow the instructions carefully so that you don’t accidentally delete any important system files. We hope this blog post has helped you figure out how to uninstall VLC Media Player from your machine, in the best possible manner.
Have you ever done this before reading this blog article? Whether you are successful in uninstalling it or not? Which method did you apply to get the job done? Have our explained step-by-step guides proved beneficial for you?
If you have gone through this in the past, share your experience with us in the comments section below. You are also free to ask any questions or queries you have in your mind that are bothering you. We will appreciate it, and try to answer them in the best possible manner.
In the end, if you liked this amazing article, give it a thumbs up now. Also, share it with your best friends, office colleagues, family members, and loved ones. Thank you all in advance guys, and stay blessed forever!