Microsoft Edge is Microsoft’s new browser that meets the web where it’s headed, and by “web”, we mean the shift to mobile, social, and immersive experiences. The novel Microsoft Edge browser has a new feature called “Edge Compatibility Mode”.
This is designed to help users visit a site that uses outdated or bygone technologies, like Internet Explorer 8, or sites created with old versions of Adobe Flash. Consequently, Microsoft Edge’s ‘Compatibility’ or ‘IE’ mode was implemented to relieve institutions dependent on backward compatibility with their existing websites and backend systems.
However, still some folks ask the following question of interest i.e., What is Compatibility Mode? So, basically, it’s a feature in MS Edge that enables you to do two things. 1) view web pages as they’re authored to preserve their standards-compliant behavior and semantics as much as possible. 2) render web pages according to Microsoft’s Internet Explorer interpretation of those same markup behaviors and constructs.
Imagine what it would be like not to have Internet Explorer as your default browser, but instead use the newer and better Microsoft Edge for everything. You wouldn’t have to worry about running into compatibility issues with certain sites, but you can still see the old web pages just like you used to priorly.
Moreover, you might be thinking that this would be too much of a pain with all the additional settings you need to get used to. Luckily, we’ll show you in this article how you can use Microsoft Edge Compatibility Mode, so following along with this new browser is a breeze!
Guide to Turn On Microsoft Edge Compatibility Mode
Follow the next-mentioned steps carefully and in sequential order to successfully enable Microsoft Edge Compatibility Mode in no time at all, and above all without facing any hassle. Here is what needs to be done, step-by-step:
- First, launch the “Microsoft Edge” web browser on your PC/Laptop.
- Next, click on the “Settings and More (Alt + F)” option. These are three horizontal dots (⋯) appearing on the upper right-hand corner of your system screen.
- After that, from the menu being launched, click on the option labeled “Settings”.
- Now, on the left-hand side of the screen, there will be a whole list of different options displayed. From them, click on the option i.e., “Default Browser”.
- Next, under the section titled “Internet Explorer Compatibility”, click on the chevron present right next to “Allow Sites to Be Reloaded in Internet Explorer Mode (IE Mode)”.
- After that, from the dropdown menu, click on the option named “Allow”.
- Now, you will see the following message i.e., “For This Setting Change to Take Effect, Restart Your Browser”. Here, click on the “Restart” button.
Finally, with the above step completed, your Microsoft Edge browser has been switched to Compatibility or Internet Explorer Mode. That’s all there is to it!
Launch a Webpage in Microsoft Edge Compatibility Mode
After successfully enabling Compatibility Mode on Microsoft Edge, you will find that it is quite simple to open a website in this mode going forward. Here is how to do it:
- First, launch the “Microsoft Edge” web browser.
- Next, open a web page of your desire.
- After that, move your mouse cursor to this newly opened website tab.
- Now, right-click on it, and from the context menu that appears, click on the option labeled “Reload Tab in Internet Explorer Mode”.
- Next, the webpage will relaunch in Compatibility or IE Mode. The Internet Explorer logo will be shown to the left of the address bar for any webpage opened in Compatibility or IE mode.
- Finally, from the box displayed on your PC screen, click on “Done”. That’s all!
Note: You can go out of Edge’s Compatibility or IE mode for a tab by right-clicking it. Then choosing “Exit Tab from Internet Explorer Mode”, from the menu appearing on your system screen.
Forever Launch a Webpage in Microsoft Edge Compatibility Mode
After activating Edge Compatibility Mode, you will need to toggle it each time you visit a website. This is quite a daunting task for most users. However, the requirement for this will disappear if you set the web address to load in this mode for the following 1 month.
Each time you navigate to an URL with compatibility mode enabled, a dialogue box will appear to remind you of this. To make future visits to this website open in IE mode, just turn on the toggle labeled “Open This Page in Internet Explorer Mode Next Time” and hit “Done“.
Microsoft Edge now makes it simple to access websites that previously required Internet Explorer. With so many folks intending to make the switch from Internet Explorer, Edge’s Compatibility Mode will be invaluable, for sure!
We hope this article has helped you understand how to use Microsoft Edge Compatibility Mode. This can be a helpful tool if you’re having trouble loading a website or accessing certain features. By using this brilliant mode, you can tell Microsoft Edge to load the URL in a different way. Maybe that may work better in your case.
In the end, Microsoft Edge Compatibility Mode can be a useful tool to have in your arsenal. It will assist you to view web pages that would otherwise not launch properly. Plus, it can also help you access older versions of websites hassle-freely. So, if you find yourself having trouble loading a specific web page, or if you need to access an outdated website, give Microsoft Edge Compatibility Mode a try today!
Have you ever used this mode before reading this blog article? Whether you are successful in doing it or not? Which method did you apply to get the job done? Has our explained step-by-step guide proved worthy for you?
If you have gone through this previously, share your experience with us in the comments section below. You are also free to ask any questions or queries you have in your mind that are bothering you. We will appreciate it, and try to answer them in the best possible manner.
In the end, if you liked this amazing blog post, give it a thumbs up now. Also, share it with your friends, office colleagues, family members, and loved ones. Thank you all in advance guys, and stay blessed forever!